Smoldering wires cause building evacuation in Northlake
Updated: November 5, 2012 11:11AM
NORTHLAKE — Smoldering wiring caused a 12-unit Northlake apartment complex to fill with smoke the evening of Sept. 23.
Firefighters from the Leyden Fire Protection District got a call from 42 King Arthur Court at 8:36 p.m. They arrived to find smoke from the basement had filled the building.
“The wires from the main power feed coming into the basement, the wires had wither frayed or crossed,” Fire Chief Kory Ryan said. “There was no fire, just a lot of smoke. It’s kind of a nasty smoke.”
Firefighters evacuated the building and used large vans to vent it. Two residents were taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure and were treated and released.
The next day, the Northlake Fire Protection District extinguished a vehicle fire on Lake Street near Interstate 294 at 3:31 a.m. Sept. 24. There were no injuries, Fire Chief Rob Hjelmgren said.